Saturday, December 10, 2005

Art cards for trade


As I wander through the market, enjoying the calls of the barkers, the scents of aromatic teas and lush fruits, and pausing here and there to enjoy a fine weaving or a richly detailed oriental carpet. I'm also looking for a quiet shady place to trade my wares.

Under a wide archway, I find a spot between a sweet maker and a shy young girl selling beautiful earthenware pots. The sweet maker has trays piled with halvah and baclava, and boils sugar in a huge drum, pulling and spinning it into fine shining strands that she fashions into minarets, spider webs and stars. The potter softly tells me the story behind the decorations on her pots, the meaning of each beautifully executed symbol.

Music floats over the scene and a group of dancers pass by, veils swirling, dark eyes flashing, gold coins tinkloing on their colourful costumes.

I drink in every moment - how brilliant it is to be in this place seething with life, colour and music.

And the halvah's not half bad either.



Australis

Oceania


Among my wares are these two art cards about 5 inches by 8 inches - Australis features rainbow coloured fibres with a white bead and circular collage, Oceania has seaweed coloured fibres and silver beads with collage. They are available for art trade.

4 Comments:

At 3:09 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

These are gorgeous Gail. I am sure facimiles will find their way into the ephemera that I am storing here on the site.

 
At 3:52 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

"I drink in every moment - how brilliant it is to be in this place seething with life, colour and music." I agree! These works are beautiful.

 
At 6:01 AM, Blogger jane said...

How I would love to have one of these in my hands but I do not know if I have anything worthy of such a trade. I shall think and sort through years of art interests.

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

Jane, never let the word `worthy' cross your mind. It isn't allowed in Lemuria! This is about sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home