Thursday, December 01, 2005

Inspiration - Imogen Crest at Pilgrims Well

A surreal picture of a bright red rose,
full of promise, leads my way, and
I seek out my camel, Shalimar,
and we make friends. I shell some peanuts
from my dark travelling cloak pocket and feed him
from my palms. The noise is the lilting
kind, full of rush and anticipation, as
other travellers sort their mounts and
possessions. Mine are held on my
person, a lute strung across my back,
a book, a quill and ink, a Byzantine bead
necklace threaded on thin cord, a leather
satchel packed full with coin, dried fruit and nut,
an old sepia coloured map from my forebears,
poetry books and an icon of the great
mother and father. The road rises ahead in my mind
full of promise and anticipation, of what will be
seen and known. I join my other companions
for the road in greetings, then amiable silence. I think
of the rose again, the brightness of the red...
and beneath my cloak is a robe of
many different colours, like jewels.
copyright Monika Roleff 2005.

3 Comments:

At 4:03 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Perfect Imogen! Simply perfect!

 
At 4:30 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Namaste to both of you.

 
At 5:01 AM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

A beautiful way to begin...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home