Monday, December 12, 2005

The land we cross

I had only the single story to tell, but can do research. We all travel through a troubled land where we do not always understand the motivations or will that drives people to act as they do. In the 12-13th centuries, western knights entered this land to attack the "sultan" who wrote this:

"To obey, Fight hard for Allah,
is my aim and my desire;
'Tis but zeal for Faith, for Islam,
that my ardor doth inspire.
Through the grace of Allah,
and th' assistance of the Band Unseen,
Is my earnest hope the Infidels
to crush with ruin dire.
On the Saints and on the Prophets
surely doth my trust repose;
Through the love of God,
to triumph and to conquest I aspire.
What if I with soul and gold
strive here to wage the Holy War?
Praise is God's! ten thousand sighs
for battle in my breast suspire.
O Mohammed!
through the chosen Ahmed Mukhtar's glorious aid,
Hope I that my might may triumph over Islam's foes acquire!" ---

Sultan Mohammed II

I have learned that ther word "infidel" is wrongly used in our history. It refers to any person who claims one spititual path and follows another. In the Crusades and now, I am asking just who are the "infidels"?

Nessie



2 Comments:

At 3:54 AM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

Ah! Now this is a vexed issue! A rose by any other name and all that. All depends on one's perspective really.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Gail Kavanagh said...

I got a book that takes you along the ancient Silk Road in 700 AD from the library - this seemed to me to be the saddest quote: ``Baghdad is the greatest city of the Islamic World and a hub of world trade." Wars and politics, no matter whose, destroy beasutiful things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home