Thursday, December 15, 2005

Setting

My evolving book "Olde Soul" details the interaction
of a young man from Milan with Eskiyali at the great
Carvanserai at Gyor in 1261 AD. It is three stories braided
together: the sayings of the Seer, Jaimic's reflections
on these ideas, and a running tale of the adventure itself --
a 'stranger in a strange land'. These extractions
(deliberately chopped up throughout) might give all here
a feeling of setting on an ancient Caravanserai --
though this famous trade gathering could be comprised
of 3000 people. Enjoy.

faucon


There had been a squabble in the market over some old debt between families. Outside of the protection of the Caravanserai I am certain this would have led to bloodshed. As it was the two young men were brought before the sage. I did not know that he performed services as a judge – but his advice may be of another kind. Each places a coin in a cup before the dais on which Eskiyalı will sit. I have never seen payment made before – or requested. I had thought that shared wisdom was its own reward. Somehow this is different. These words were made to the crowd after the judgment was issued and the men had departed...


I have received a message from the seer! There is to be an event outside of the great ring of spears that defines the Caravanserai. I may sit by Eskiyalı and take such notes as I may. I do not know if I may speak with him and may translators will not be with me. They are afraid. Outside the custom of Györ they could be victims of bandits or un-trusted merchants. I am cautioned not to attend as many would question my appearance and strangeness. Yet I must place my trust in the sage or my journey has no value. I will be allowed to take my sword.
……………………………………………………………………………………………….
I have asked Trobin to accompany me on the foray outside the caravanserai – even three or four bandits would not attack an Asi! He refuses, saying that to do so would insult Eskiyalı. But he does offer to guard my pavilion as my belongings would no longer enjoy protection when I left the camp. I do not offer him payment, trusting that what he selects or asks will be fair – and there will be a price! The Alan do not haggle over their famed services. What is the value of ‘everything I own’?

Ekrem chuckles when he learns of my arrangement with Trobin. If I do not return, perhaps dying of natural cause, then the Asi can do what he wishes with my wealth. If, however, I should come to harm or die by foul means he is bound to deliver my belongings to my heirs. For that he would extract a great price – from any who would do me harm. He has done me a tremendous honor by handling my problem in this way. Hundreds of strangers will now guard my venture less they be caught up in some intrigue. Those not obviously with me might be thought of as against me. All this is difficult to believe. I will learn more of the Alan and their power over the travelers here.

An old man dressed in green came for me bearing a standard made of crossed strips of black and white cloth. Even Trobin stood aside that we might pass on the way to the seer’s pavilion. It seems very quiet – perhaps because most of the crowd give my pavilion a wide berth. I hear murmurs of, “the day,” but no one will tell me what it means. My friends say that I am better prepared by knowing little. I walked to the left of Eskiyalı to whom I have yet to speak a word. Methinks my larger size will give better protection than my skill with sword and knife, both of which are returned as we passed the final crossed standards. Soon I will know what it all means.

2 Comments:

At 3:37 AM, Blogger Imogen Crest said...

Uncommon wisdom. I love these writings.

 
At 11:03 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

It is the authentic nature of these words that have the greatest appeal faucon - together with the reality that this world was far from romantic all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home