Thursday, December 01, 2005

Entering the desert

I pulled my woolen scarf over my nose and tightened it around my neck. The temperature this morning is just a little off of 0 and the wind is blowing wildly around me as I trudge through the snow. Somewhere near here is the entrance to the well where I am to meet my fellow travelers for a journey away from this cold. Zero degrees to 100: At this time of year the change is welcoming.

I reach the door and with the help of the wind on my side I push it open. Instantly a blast of hot, dry air hits me in the face. I quickly step inside, close the door, and remove my wet winter clothing and boots and place them in a chest just inside the door. Slowly I turn around as I absorb the warmth into my body and the dryness of the air enters my lungs. Before me there is a well trodden path through the sand leading to what looked like a campgrounds ahead. I had safely arrived.

The camp was filled with an air of anticipation. I instinctively went towards a beautiful tent near the well that looked like silks joined together with golden threads. It was all different chromas and compliments of violet and beside the tent stood my dreaded transportation, Rudolph the camel. I approached him slowly, anticipating a bad reception from a very bad disposition creature who could be very rude but all seem to be calm.

"Do you communicate, I asked, feeling a little silly."

I received an indignant grunt from the creature and he continued slowly chewing his grain and ignoring me.

I longed to take my time, lounge around in my beautiful tent and go to the well and visit with the other travelers,but the clamor around me was all headed east, to the far edge of the encampment. There, upon the largest camel I have ever seen, sat the Enchanteur with other camels chaotically trying to line up behind her to start the journey. If I was not so worried about maneuvering my own camel I would have laughed at picture of the women atop these monsters who seemed to have no control. Thank goodness tenders are rushing all over trying to help them. My tender, Joseph, rushed up and in a sharp, unrecognizable language urged me to mount as he dashed back and forth to the well filling huge pouches with water. I do hope it is for me and not the camel.

I hesitantly obeyed but inside I had a sinking feeling. What had I gotten myself into?

1 Comments:

At 2:16 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

ah! transparent before you Jane! Any sense of control in this situation is all illusionary.

Your description is just wonderful and Rudolph! Well you may be just the woman to re-educate him darling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home