Friday, December 02, 2005

A Pilgrim's Wish

As I listen to the music and the tales, I remember how I came to be here surrounded by the scents of campfire cooked meals, camels, incense, and children. I made a promise not so long ago, less than a month actually to a dear friend. She had been ill, I didn't know how ill at the time.

"Jasmine, Will you make a promise to me?"
I looked up from my writing to where Sophie sat before the fire, resting.
"Depends on the promise."
"Promise me that you will travel far from here--you will travel to places you've never seen and greet those you would never have thought to know."
"And who will cover the expense of this grand expedition."
"I have some money saved. Do you remember where we hid our treasure box under the date tree out back. It is still there and it is full,"she'd said the last in a whisper.
"How?....."
"How is irrelevant,"she exclaimed leaving her chair and walking toward me "You must promise!"
She began to have one of her coughing fits, and I met her where she stood. As I guided, her back to her seat she pressed me for an answer.
"I promise. I'll do whatever you wish if it will get you to rest."
"You must do what I will not Jasmine. See what I cannot."
"Nonsense. You will come with me,"I replied resting my head in her lap.
"I will--in you heart."
Then she'd drifted to sleep as I'd watched the fire.

That day was long past and the braids that she had stroked to comfort me and herself were gone as well. I wore the travelling gear of a young man. A hooded cloak, boots, pants, my chest wrapped and flattened under a dark shirt. My satchel carries the few things I believed necessary, my writing pens, ink, a journal, drawing pencils, the treasure box, a change of clothes, and my book of Scripture. I also have a dagger and a camp tin--a small lided pot which holds a metal plate and eating implements. I'd dined with the friendly family seated next to me and scrubbed out my plate with sand. I hope that I will fulfill the dream that my spirit sister had for me, God rest her soul and grant us a peaceful journey.

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Blogger Heather Blakey said...

This so lovely Desire'. I am a willing audience for your writing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home